How To Use OBS is a common question among those, who want to live stream videos.
So First Lets Know What OBS is.
OBS stands for Open Broadcasting Software, its free and open source recording and streaming software.It provides real-time source and device capture.
OBS primarily does the transmission of data via the Real Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP)
This data can be sent to any RTMP supporting destination, including many platforms presets for streaming, an example of such platforms are Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube
Conclusion: OBS Let you stream Videos with added features to Social networking sites like Facebook, Youtube and others.
To run OBS without and error and problem please check the basic requirements for obs before proceeding.
For any reason, If you find OBS extremely difficult to use, you may also opt for Xsplit.
Xsplit is more user-friendly, you may also read Xsplit vs OBS for more information
How To Use OBS For Streaming Videos
Now come to the point of How To Use OBS
There are two ways of Using OBS for streaming Videos:
- Stream Pre-recorded videos as “Live” on Facebook
- Stream Live videos From your screen or through your webcam
If you want to know about streaming pre-recorded video as live click on the above-given link, as in this guide we will only discuss streaming videos Live from the screen or webcam.
Stream Live Videos From Your Screen or Webcam
- To Start, Download OBS Studio (Mac, Windows, and Linux)
- Open OBS Studio and click “Settings” in the lower right corner.
- Select “Stream” from the left panel.
- Under “Stream Type” select “Streaming Services”
- Click on the drop-down menu Next to “Services” and select the platform you want to stream.
- Copy the stream key from platforms like Facebook and others
- Paste the Key in the “Stream” column
- Next, Click on the + button in the source box
- And Add Video capture device and select your webcam in the “Device” drop-down menu.
- Similarly, Add Audio capture device and select your mic if you want to stream videos with voice
- Now Click on Start Streaming and go to the website and click “Go live”
Why Use OBS, When social sites like Facebook can directly stream Live Videos
It’s true that social networking sites can directly stream live videos from your webcam directly but you will be deprived of many features which would be required to make your live video more interesting compares to direct live videos.
Here are a few advantages of using an OBS:
- You can add a text/image to your live videos.
- OBS let you place a banner in case you want to pause the Live video
- You can display your live screen or recorded screen videos while streaming
- You can stream pre-recorded video as a Live Video or can even add them to your live videos
- With OBS you can always switch to pre-recorded videos while streaming live
- OBS also record your live video but many don’t know about this feature and also about where do obs recording go
What does an OBS do?
- It’s used for High-performance real-time (Live) audio/video mixing and capturing.
- OBS let you create “Scenes” made up of multiple sources including window captures, text, images, and browser windows which can be used in your stream video
- OBS helps to set up an unlimited number of “Scenes,” and it also allows you to switch between seamlessly via custom transitions.
- Not only the video but you can also mix audio with the intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain.